Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Small Fox seen on Edinburgh Street carrying Rabbit for Dinner

I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. There we were driving along the city streets in Edinburgh. We came to an intersection near the queen's personal park. While waiting on the traffic light, a rather smallish thin fox crossed the street from our left with a rabbit in his mouth. With stealth he traveled diagonally across the street as though he'd done the same many times before. Slipping in between the steel bars of the park's fence he scurried away into the wood.

We were not the only people surprised by this unexpected event. Cars and busses crossing the street all came to a standstill (that in itself is a miracle of sorts in Edinburgh!). Bystanders stood gawking in amazement. As for me... I found myself wishing I had had my camera ready to get a shot of this most unusual sighting. Ah well... you'll just have to take my word for it. A fox crossing the street with take-out dinner... or, as they say here in Scotland, "take-away dinner".

All of this leads me to ask, "Why did the fox cross the road?" I'll be interested in reading any answers you may have in response to this question!

No comments: