Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wendy sees the Queen!

This photo shows Wendy's expression after seeing Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip as they drove by us earlier in the morning.

It was Friday morning around 10:30 a.m. We were walking toward Buckingham Palace to view the 11:30 a.m. changing of the guard ceremony. Straight ahead of us a black Bentley drew near, accompanied by police and armed guard escort in the front and in the rear.

I turned my gaze briefly to the left. Wendy watched the Bentley as it drove past on the right. It was then that she saw the queen and her husband in the back seat of the fancy car. The queen was wearing a sea-foam green dress and matching hat. What a sight! (Of course, I wouldn't know... I was looking the other way, remember?!) By the time I turned to look, all I could see were the tail-lights of the Bentley and the flashing lights of the escort vehicles.

Several minutes later we arrived at the gates to Buckingham Palace. A man and his son from Texas stood nearby. The boy informed us that they had seen the queen drive out of the palace and onto the street just a short while before. Wendy informed him that she, too, had seen the queen as we walked toward the palace. So... two Texans and an Oregonian both saw the queen in her sea-foam green attire on this day... while yours truly saw a different shade of green -- green with envy!

Well, if it's any consolation I did see other sights... such as the one pictured below. (I took this photo fifteen minutes or so after Wendy's sighting of the queen.) Now why, I ask, didn't the queen choose to ride a horse on this day? At least then I might have gotten a good glimpse at her stellar attire!

No comments: