Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's 10:30 p.m. in Kilkenny and there's still daylight in the sky!

The radio news reported that today is the longest day in the year in Ireland. I believe it!

Take a look at this short video. Notice the sky, how light it still is. This is an undoctored video. You're looking at the scene exactly as I was seeing it at 10:30 p.m.

The street is two-way, believe it or not! Earlier in the day it was packed with cars going both ways as well as pedestrians threading their way through and among the vehicles. Needless to say, I didn't drive this road. But I've driven others not much wider than this one since my arrival in Ireland.

It's quite an experience, an American driving in these parts. First, there's the fact that you're driving on the "wrong" side of the road (at least from our perspective). Then, you're driving in the "wrong" front seat of the car (again, that's from an American's point-of-view). Furthermore, you're driving on narrow roads that are littered with parked cars, bicyclists, pedestrians and the traffic coming toward you!

It's enough to drive a man to drink... or prayer, which is my choice of comfort!

No comments: