Here's the second part of my experience with David Crowe in the Traditional Irish Music Shop located in Doolin, Ireland. The date is June 27, 2011, and I have found a good friend in David who was most gracious in spending a bit of time helping me learn some Irish dance music. David just completed his first year of college and is working in the Music Shop as a way of earning income for his next year of school. In addition to his work at the Music Shop he also performs with other musicians in pubs around the region. He informed me that a pub performer who plays seven nights a week (for a couple of hours a night) can expect to receive between 200 - 300 Euro (US $285 - $428) a week for his or her work. Not many musicians play that many nights per week, however. David plays a couple of nights per week and then performs and competes in Irish dance at other times.
In the video you'll hear me ask David about the name of the shop. Because of his accent I misunderstood his reply. I thought he said "Trish and Larry's" when, in fact, he said "Traditional Irish". Jeesh, Marc... clean your ears out!
Anyway, the shop has nothing to do with either Trish or Larry... its actual name is "Traditional Irish" Music Shop. So there you have it... one time I was mistaken about something! (Ha! If only you knew... of course, Wendy knows... I've been wrong a bit more than just one time in my life!)
No comments:
Post a Comment