Monday, June 20, 2011

Where's Waldo?

On the afternoon of Sunday, June 19, 2011, in downtown Dublin I thought my eyes were seeing double... triple... quadruple... or worse. Everywhere I turned there was Waldo! I rubbed my eyes... blinked... closed my eyes and shook my head furiously back and forth. But still, when I opened my eyes, there they were... everywhere it seemed... Waldos were coming out of the brickwork of the streets (the streets in old Dublin are made of brick). Then, in St. Stephen's Green (park) I met this wonderful family. They explained that the city of Dublin had held an event that day to set a world record. The record they sought to make for Guinness was to have the world's greatest number of people dressed up like Waldo meet together for a photograph. Did Dublin set the record that day? You betcha!!! As reported to me, over 3,800 Waldos came together in one place. Young and old, small and tall, male and female, they came from all parts of the city. And just think... I was there to witness the event myself! Of course, in Ireland they weren't looking for Waldo. And neither were they looking for 3,800 plus Waldos. They were looking for Wally. Because that's the name they know him by over here!

No comments: