Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Kilkennys in Concert (June 22, 2011)


On the evening of June 22 I was invited to a private party/concert by the owners of the Bed and Breakfast where I was staying. It was held at Matt the Millers Pub in downtown Kilkenny and featured a band of local young men who are quite popular throughout Ireland and in many parts of the world. This video (and a couple of others I'll post) was shot with their permission. After the concert I was asked to play them one of my songs, which I did. In appreciation they gave me one of their live concert album CDs. It's a great CD which I'm pleased to have!

In this video group members are playing the following instruments: mandolin, 4-string tenor banjo, mandolin and the bodrahn (pronounced BOW-rawn). The bodrahn is an Irish drum that is played with a single stick called a "beater". Notice how the drummer produces different sounds by the way in which he moves his left hand up-and-down inside the drum head, as well as how and where he hits the drum head with the beater.

No comments: